What reviewers are saying...

♥ 2015 Rainbow Book Awards Honorable Mention ♥
♥ 2014 Amazon Bestseller ♥
♥ 2014 Dreamspinner Press Bestseller ♥
♥ 2014 All Romance Ebooks Bestseller ♥
♥ 2013 Top Pick of the Year ♥
♥ 2013 All Romance Ebooks Bestseller ♥
♥ 2012 Rainbow Book Awards Honorable Mention ♥
♥ 2011 Best-selling Author ♥
♥ 2011 Best Anthology ♥

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Author Spotlight - Edmond Manning


It is my pleasure to introduce Edmond Manning, author of A Taste of Honey

Edmond Manning
Tell us a little bit about how A Taste of Honey came to life. What inspired the story?
I was on a business trip in Flordia, swimming in the hotel's outdoor pool. I was delighted to be outside, because it was 20 below zero back home. I watched the steam rise from the night pool, perfectly aqua-colored water lit-up from below. So gorgeous, so magical! I swam the pool and contemplated entering a story in Dreamspinner's bear anthology. I really wanted to do something fun, but I couldn't come up with a great idea. As I bobbed in the water, feeling like a merman, I realized I could write a fairy tale. A wonderful, silly, word-dancing, bubblicious, aqua-colored fairy tale that felt as fresh and freeing as swimming in a Florida pool in February. My inspiration to create a fairy tale came from that luxurious night swim, alone in the pool.
Who is your favorite character and what makes them so memorable to you?
In my story, my favorite character is the Great White Bear, a legend in the Chicago bear community for his classic, 'cool' demeanor, his huge, bulging crotch, and general air of mystery. Who does he date? What's his type? I like him. He's like a legend in my brain, that alpha type whom everyone desires but nobody will dare pursue him because he's so out of everyone's league. He's the Moby Dick of people. Which is why he's nicknamed the Great White Bear.
Tell us a little bit about yourself and what made you decide to write?
Oh, I've been writing since I was eight years old. I wrote some crazy-ass stories back then, usually about my intense dream life at night (I've always dreamt a lot). But I have to say, I wrote for decades without appreciating the gift of writing, the beauty of crafting words. I read a million books and always appreciated good writing, but the idea that I could write something good enough to be published seemed a very distant idea. Something other people accomplished, but not me. I evaluated my own writing as high-end mediocre and while I had seen some awful books in print, I loved books too much to put something out in the world that wasn’t my personal best.
And I could never seem to master the comma. I figured as a writer, you had to master the comma, right? Before you were ready?
One day I realized I was simply never going to master the comma. I'm simply bad at, those. *shrug* But maybe I could be better at writing anyway? Maybe I could make more authentic, heart-felt stories. I completely changed my writing style to one that felt right for the character’s voice. Suddenly, I was writing stories I loved and believed in with all my heart.
Any advice for aspiring authors?
There are many perspectives. You'll meet a successful published author who says, "Do it this way. I did it this way and it worked for me." Yeah, it did work for her or him, but that doesn't mean it will work for you. Get advice from a bunch of different authors and realize that all of them are telling the absolute truth...but you do not have to follow their advice. Do what’s right for you. Figure it out.
Closing remarks...
There are many perspectives. You'll meet a successful published author who says, "Do it this way. I did it this way and it worked for me." Yeah, it did work for her or him, but that doesn't mean it will work for you. Get advice from a bunch of different authors and realize that all of them are telling the absolute truth...but you do not have to follow their advice. Do what’s right for you. Figure it out.

WIN THE BOOK NOW!
a Rafflecopter giveaway

A Taste of Honey

Blurb:
In the mood to try something sweet? How about a collection of stories about bears and the special men in their lives? Guys don't have to be in their twenties, perfectly sculpted, and hairless to be hot. Bears are real men with real bodies--and that doesn't always mean a perfect six-pack or an immaculately smooth chest. With bears, it can mean more man to love. The men in this anthology are chubs, cubs, grizzlies, pandas, polar bears, and more--all looking for a connection. and beneath their burly physiques are hearts of gold. Explore the bear scene and beyond with these big, hairy guys and the men who find them irresistibly sexy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am excited for this book!
And Edmond Manning is a new author for me!
I read his story, Broken Phoenix, and loved it! I can't wait to read more from this author!
Thanks, Rissa :)

Alaina said...

Really looking forward to reading A Taste of Honey! Thanks for the chance to win!

Alishea Durham said...

Looking forward to A Taste of Honey.