What reviewers are saying...

♥ 2015 Rainbow Book Awards Honorable Mention ♥
♥ 2014 Amazon Bestseller ♥
♥ 2014 Dreamspinner Press Bestseller ♥
♥ 2014 All Romance Ebooks Bestseller ♥
♥ 2013 Top Pick of the Year ♥
♥ 2013 All Romance Ebooks Bestseller ♥
♥ 2012 Rainbow Book Awards Honorable Mention ♥
♥ 2011 Best-selling Author ♥
♥ 2011 Best Anthology ♥

Thursday, August 14, 2014

Author Spotlight - Kristen Slater


It is my pleasure to introduce Kristen Slater, author of Working It Out

Kristen Slater
Tell us a little bit about how Working It Out came to life. What inspired the story?
Several of my stories have started when the first line popped into my head out of nowhere, and that's what happened here. The words "What is love, anyway? I mean, you tell me how you know you’re in love" just appeared. It's a question that occurs to me on a regular basis, because I'm not sure either. In a way, the story started as an attempt to answer that question. By the time I'd got to the end of the first chapter I realised it was obvious Cas, the character asking the question, was head over heels in love with his boyfriend. The problem was, how would he realise it? I picked a rather dramatic method, but it did seem to work.
Who is your favorite character and what makes them so memorable to you?
I think it has to be Cas, because he's asking "my" question, the answer to which has always eluded me. I think he's also the one who has more of me in him than any of the others. He's not a big touchy-feely person and doesn't articulate what he feels very much. And he works in a library, one of my favourite places in the world.
Tell us a little bit about yourself and what made you decide to write?
I've always been a bit of a daydreamer and most of my life has been spent with my nose buried in a book or five. I never thought I could be a writer, however. That was something done by people with fancy educations and independent incomes, not people like me. Writing wasn't even on my radar. Then, in October 2009, in the forums of a website I frequent, there was a post simply headed "nanowrimo". Being incurably nosey, I read it and was no wiser because it didn't explain what it was about. I googled it and found it was National Novel Writing Month. My immediate response was that I couldn't do that and it wasn't for me, and I sort of forgot about it. About three weeks later, on my way home from work, I found myself almost unconsciously writing - in the white margins around the edge of a newspaper page. When I got home I typed it into the computer and found I'd got, well, a lot of words. So I decided to give it ago and on 5 November 2009 I signed up for the challenge. After that, there wasn't really any decision to make. Having started, to see where it went, the words began to pour out of me. I found I can't *not* write. So it's still the case that my nose is usually buried in a book, but it's as likely to be because I'm writing nowadays. When the cat lets me, that is.
Any advice for aspiring authors?
I know it seems obvious, maybe a little trite, but, for me, it can be summed up in two words. The first is write. I have to admit, I'm not keen on the term "aspiring author". If you really want to write, why aren't you doing it? If you wait for permission to write, or for that mythical "spare time" to just appear, you'll never do it. And if you are writing, you're not aspiring, you're doing it. The second word is read. The more you read, and the more widely you read, the better feel you'll have for how stories work. There will also be all those ideas sloshing around in your mind, mixing together and creating new ideas for you to write about.
Closing remarks...
I still can't believe I wrote a story that someone agreed to publish, and it's been out for a month now. It's been a bit overwhelming, and a lot exciting, and very satisfying. I've had to learn about social media, something I'm really not very good at, and how to edit. I've also come into contact with a whole bunch of great people who've welcomed me into their ranks - the other authors with my publisher.

WIN THE BOOK NOW!
a Rafflecopter giveaway

Working It Out

Blurb:
Celebrating six months with his boyfriend has Cas in a bit of a panic. Joe's been saying "I love you" for a while, but Cas just can't get the words past his lips. A week before Christmas, he finally says them when a nearly fatal accident almost takes Joe, and Cas faces the possibility of losing the best man he's ever known. But whispered declarations are one thing. Through a long, tough recovery both men must work out that love is more than words.

7 comments:

pat nelson said...

Love the interview AND the blurb! Please count me in. =}

ardent.ereader said...

Hi Kristen, you are a new to me author and I look forward to reading your book. Thanks for the giveaway.

Lisa Parker said...

Count me in....love to read and look forward to reading your book

Lisa G said...

Thanks for the great interview - this books looks great. Thanks for a shot at winning a copy.

Alaina said...

I am looking forward to reading this! Thanks for the chance to win!

Ashley E said...

Oh, this sounds like a lovely hurt/comfort kind of story. Awesome! Adding this to my TBR.

Sula said...

I love libraries, I spent most of my formative years with books and reading as much as I could in the local libraries and when I went to college I worked in the college library. I still read all the time. I am also a bit of a day dreamer and have stories and thoughts going on all the time and your article gave good advice to those who want to write, just get on and do it LOL
I have enjoyed your tour and thank you for a chance to win your book :)