What reviewers are saying...

♥ 2015 Rainbow Book Awards Honorable Mention ♥
♥ 2014 Amazon Bestseller ♥
♥ 2014 Dreamspinner Press Bestseller ♥
♥ 2014 All Romance Ebooks Bestseller ♥
♥ 2013 Top Pick of the Year ♥
♥ 2013 All Romance Ebooks Bestseller ♥
♥ 2012 Rainbow Book Awards Honorable Mention ♥
♥ 2011 Best-selling Author ♥
♥ 2011 Best Anthology ♥

Friday, November 1, 2013

Jeff Erno



It is my pleasure to introduce Jeff Erno, author of The Left-Hand Path

Jeff Erno
Tell us a little bit about how The Left Hand Path came to life. What inspired the story?
The basic concept of The Left-Hand Path is similar to a movie I saw back in 2005, but the story line and ending are quite different. When I attended the GRL Retreat in New Orleans, I was reminded of that movie which was set on a New Orleans plantation. It got me thinking about a gay-themed story that included Hoodoo and witchcraft. I soaked up so much inspiration from that New Orleans trip and initially focused on a different series of erotic stories set in a New Orleans bar. By the time I got around to starting LHP, much of my original idea had evolved. I was actually surprised by how it turned out.
Who is your favorite character and what makes them so memorable to you?
The main character is Will, and he's my favorite. I liked being inside his head simply because he's genuinely a good guy. He's the type of person who always looks for the good in others, and he's perhaps a bit too trusting. Will has always wanted to be a nurse and is enrolled in a program to get his degree. He works as a home care provider to put himself through school. When he stumbles upon an opportunity to make a lot of money caring for an elderly stroke patient, it seems too good to be true. He also embarks upon a relationship with his patient's nephew, a successful attorney who is hotter than...uh...a pistol. As it turns out, much of what he first believed about the situation proves untrue and he finds himself trapped in a spooky web of deceit.
Tell us a little bit about yourself and what made you decide to write?
I began writing at a time in my life (late twenties) when I was facing lots of challenges. I was caring for my mom after she'd had a debilitating stroke and for my gram who had Alzheimer's. I started writing as an escape. It was something I could do while remaining at home because my family needed 24/7 care. Around the time they passed, my father also died as well as a couple really close friends. And my seven year relationship with my partner ended. I was devastated, despondent, and depressed, and I poured all of these emotions into my stories, never for a moment believing I was really an author. I never envisioned being published. It wasn't until 2009 that I published my first novel.
Any advice for aspiring authors?
You know, I've had to answer this question before in other interviews, and I'm not sure how to do it without sounding like a know-it-all. The truth of the matter is that there are plenty of authors far more qualified to offer advice. I'm always second-guessing myself. Two years ago I decided to quit my day job and focus primarily upon my writing. There are times I think this was a mistake, that I should have waited another year or two. On the other hand, had I waited, I wouldn't now have 25 published books and still wouldn't feel like I was in a position to write full time. I decided to bite the bullet and go for it. That might be right for some aspiring authors. For others, it is unthinkable.
The only reason it's been possible for me to continue writing is that there are people who've bought my books. I can't begin to express how grateful I am. Every time I'm contacted by a reader, it humbles me and touches my heart. I only hope I can continue to write the kind of stories that readers enjoy.
WIN THE BOOK NOW!
a Rafflecopter giveaway
The Left-Hand Path
From Dreamspinner Press, released 2013-10-30

Blurb:
William Austin has always wanted to be a nurse, though he’s no longer sure the gratification is worth the pain of losing a patient. For now, he’s a nursing student and works two jobs—barista and private nurse. Will meets Blaine Coventry at the coffee shop, and when the altruistic young attorney offers him a job caring for his Uncle Elliot, Will accepts. Will finds that Elliot’s stroke has left him unable to walk or talk, and Elliot's husband, James, says the goal is to keep Elliot comfortable until he passes. But Will starts rehabilitation, and his patient soon begins to make progress. When James resists, Will realizes something isn’t right, and investigates. Then he discovers a chilling secret that threatens to forever change Will's life... or perhaps end it..

1 comment:

Amanda said...

I really love Jeff Erno's books. I had the pleasure of meeting him at GRL last month and he is such a nice guy. Very excited for this book to come out!