What reviewers are saying...

♥ 2015 Rainbow Book Awards Honorable Mention ♥
♥ 2014 Amazon Bestseller ♥
♥ 2014 Dreamspinner Press Bestseller ♥
♥ 2014 All Romance Ebooks Bestseller ♥
♥ 2013 Top Pick of the Year ♥
♥ 2013 All Romance Ebooks Bestseller ♥
♥ 2012 Rainbow Book Awards Honorable Mention ♥
♥ 2011 Best-selling Author ♥
♥ 2011 Best Anthology ♥

Sunday, September 1, 2013

Serena Yates



It's my pleasure to introduce Serena Yates, author of "Fighting for Love"

Serena Yates

Tell us a little bit about how this story came to life came to life. What inspired inspired?
When I was writing the first story in the Modern Battles series, "Fighting for Hope", one of the key secondary characters was Danny McBrae. He is Dr. Grayson Burrows's best friend, but we don't get to see him very much in that book - not beyond a few crucial interactions. Danny is an odd contradiction: a total playboy, very "out there" as a gay man, seemingly without a care in the world or a lot of depth, yet very good at helping Grayson sort out his love life. When some of my editors and fans started commenting on Danny, wondering whether he'd get his own story, I began to wonder. What made him the man he is? What would his story be? That was the beginning of "Fighting for Love".

Who is your favorite character and what makes them so memorable to you?
I don't think I have a favorite character. I don't have a favorite book, either. There are too many cool, fascinating, compelling characters and stories out there for me to pick just one. No way!

Tell us a little bit about yourself and what made you decide to write?
Once upon a time, long, long ago, my mother read me a fairy tale. I must have been about four years old, but I don't remember which one it was. When it ended I wasn't very happy - not because the story was over, but because I didn't like what happened. I thought to myself: "I want to change that story. I can tell it better." That moment, essentially, was what made me decide. I took a few "detours" before I became a full time writer, but that was the first time I remember realizing there was something interesting about telling stories.

Any advice for aspiring authors?
Find your own way of writing in terms of timing (morning/evening, every day/certain times a week, etc.), figure out what works for you (planning or seat-of-the-pants). Get one or more beta readers and LISTEN to them! Be prepared to rewrite a story at any time. Don't give up after the first rejection - and not even after the first 10! Read, read some more, and then really read!

I love to hear from my readers! Please find me in any of the places listed below and I promise, I'll get back to you!

WIN THE BOOK NOW!
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Fighting for Love (Modern Battles 2)
From Dreamspinner Press, released September 2013


Blurb:
Modern Battles: Book Two

Danny McBrae is a super-rich playboy, but his devil-may-care lifestyle hides an artist with a sensitive heart who gave up on love after years of hurt. When his beloved great-grandfather, the eccentric Sir Malcolm Witherspoon, dies and leaves a rare piece of land to Oxford Hospital Trust, Danny finds new purpose. He uses some of his inherited wealth to help finance the planned children's hospital, supporting his best friend, Dr. Grayson Burrows, who heads the project team.

When Grayson is seriously injured, Danny meets Dr. Halldor Magnusson, the neurologist who treats Grayson. Halldor has some weird ideas about keeping Grayson away from James, his lover, so Danny initially dislikes him. But Halldor also has his own deeply personal reasons for wanting the children's hospital to become a reality, and the initial mutual distrust changes into interest and attraction. When Danny's jealous ex-lover tries to tear them apart and someone is trying to get Halldor removed from the project team, they decide to join forces so they can win the battle.

Neither of the men is looking for love. Yet they discover it may be worth fighting for.

3 comments:

Tracey Steinbach said...

Great interview, Ladies!

Johanna Rae said...

Looks like a great story :)

Patricia Nelson said...

Fantastic interview and blurb. =}