KEEP READING TO LEARN HOW TO WIN A $15 GIFT CARD TO AMAZON FROM ME & GRAMMARLY
Of all the interviews I’ve done, one of the most common questions have been “how do you battle writer’s block?” The truth is, there’s no one great answer. If there were, writer’s block wouldn’t exist and we’d all be on our way to best-sellers. Writers are varied and unique creatures, and not all fixes work for everyone.
That being said, here are a few pointers—things that seem to work for me.
- I must always… ALWAYS have coffee. Writer’s block is inevitable with me if I don’t have caffeine. That’s first and foremost.
- Sometimes, changing the music helps—if you’re the kind of writer who needs the background noise to keep you in the mood.
- A change in scenery helps too. Take your laptop out of the office. I like to park my hind parts at Starbucks (See item #1)
- Do word sprints with friends. Writing for an hour straight then taking a break for an hour works wonders. If you have friends who write or aspire to write, team up and go at it. If you’re competitive at all, you’ll be able to throw down a few thousand words like it’s no big deal.
- Listen to your characters. Don’t give them a voice, hear their voice. Don’t force a story on your characters or they’ll retaliate by going silent. That probably sounds insane. It’s not. Think about it as your subconscious telling you the characters wouldn’t go down a certain path or do what you’re trying to make them do.
- Last but not least, you might genuinely need a break. When a muse becomes exhausted, it will abandon you. Don’t keep going. Forced words are obvious to readers and will do nothing to help you get the story done.
Writer’s block can be a real pain and the most frustrating thing in the world, but with a little patience and a heavy dose of Zen, you can get beyond it and conquer that novel lickety split. Remember, a little fun never hurt anyone, and since you’re stuck, you might as well enjoy the time off. Your muse will come running right back!
Now, onto the giveaway…
To be entered to win, all you have to do is post an email address in the comments here. Winners will be chosen at random on July 18th, at noon central standard time. This giveaway is sponsored by http://www.grammarly.com/
JUNE 30 – The Immortals Saga: Immortal from Amber Quill Press (Hetero Paranormal Romance)
There is only one thing in this world that can make you question everything you've ever believed in, make you throw yourself into the face of danger—love.
Madeline never thought she would find love so deep it transcended the physical world, and she definitely never thought she would find it in a vampire. When the body count starts to rise, however, she begins to question the curiously desirable new interest in her life.
What would you sacrifice for love?
MAY 8 – Dear Diary from Dreamspinner Press (Contemporary M/M Romance)
Chris Bishop has everything a high school senior could want—a loving family, a perfect girlfriend, and a bright, shining future. At his dad’s suggestion, he spends a summer working at a law firm to gain experience, but he never bargained on meeting Josh. Josh is handsome and green-eyed and just what Chris doesn’t want—or does he? Some things Chris has admitted only to his digital diary, but by the time prom comes around, he needs to make a decision: risk the pain of honesty about himself and his feelings for Josh, or play it safe and lose what matters most.