What reviewers are saying...

♥ 2014 Amazon Bestseller ♥
♥ 2014 Dreamspinner Press Bestseller ♥
♥ 2014 All Romance Ebooks Bestseller ♥
♥ 2013 Top Pick of the Year ♥
♥ 2013 All Romance Ebooks Bestseller ♥
♥ 2012 Rainbow Book Awards Honorable Mention ♥
♥ 2011 Best-selling Author ♥
♥ 2011 Best Anthology ♥

Upcoming Releases

Dream 'til Monday - Dreamspinner Press
Patient Privilege (Re-release) - Dreamspinner Press

Friday, November 30, 2012

Dreaming of a White Christmas


I want to preface this by letting you guys know this isn’t a sad post. Yes, it’s about my little brother who died less than six months ago. Yes, this is our first Christmas without him. But, this is my fondest Christmas memory that also involves him. I needed to do this for myself, and I thought I would share with the people who seem to get the craziness that goes on in my noggin. So, without further ado….

Dreaming of a White Christmas


1983, the last time I remember seeing snow so high it reached my waist….

“Allison! Allison! Get up! Santa’s been here!” Matthew had called from the bedroom door. He’d kept his voice down to whisper, just in case Mom and Dad had already been awake. After all, someone had to make sure Santa got his cookies. Matthew had been really adamant about that.

“Get up! We have presents!”

He’d dragged the covers off of me even before I’d peeled my eyes open. I’d told him to stop and rolled back over in the bed. He wasn’t even supposed to be in my room. That had been the rule.
Eventually, he’d managed to get me out of bed.

At seven years old, I should’ve been as excited as my three year old brother, but he’d been the one to see the presents, not me.

He’d grabbed my hand and pulled me out of my room. I’d padded behind him, Strawberry Shortcake gown beating around my ankles. The rough feet of his footed jumper scratched against the dark brown carpet of the living room.

The moment the flickering, colorful lights of the Christmas tree and the spread of toys came into view, I’d found his same enthusiasm.

Mommy and Daddy hadn’t woken up yet, but we’d already started playing with our new toys—Barbies and over-sized dump trucks, GI Joe men and a giant Rainbow Bright doll. It was amazing.

Eventually Mom and Dad woke up, and they had to pry us away from our toys to make us eat breakfast. My brother and I scarfed down the food. It was probably oatmeal or maybe bacon and eggs, I can’t remember that part. I do however, distinctly remember seeing all the bright white light coming in from behind the tree after mom had opened the curtains.

We opened the presents and took a million pictures. Mom still has those pictures, but back in that time, people didn’t have digital cameras and computers. Most of those pictures were taken with an old Polaroid, and unfortunately, I don’t have time to scan them all in to share.

But I digress.

Once we’d opened out presents and donned our thick coats, Daddy had taken us outside to build our snowman. I remember it being so cold outside it made my nose burn, and Mom kept saying we needed to come in before we got sick, but we had to finish our snowman.

It had all the bells and whistles—three huge balls of snow for the body, coal for the eyes and mouths, one of those tacky trucker’s hats because every house seemed to have an abundance of those back in the 80s, and one ratty old scarf so Frosty wouldn’t get cold. Frosty lived a long life… a whole three days before the sun melted him into a small mound of mush and coal and disregarded clothes.

I’m sure there have been more white Christmas’s since then, but that one stuck with me. Maybe because that had been the first one Matthew had been old enough to drag me out of bed. Maybe the snowman made it special. I couldn’t honestly say, but this Christmas, that memory will stay with me.

This Christmas, I’ll be dreaming of snowmen, and Santa Clause, and my little brother dragging me out of bed to open presents….

Now, for the fun stuff…


Since you read this, you can enter to win and of the available titles from my backlist. All you have to do is comment on this blog post with your email address and the title you want from the list below. Winners will be selected on December 7th.

"Sins of the Heart" ~ Part of Dreamspinner Press's "Bittersweet Dreams" series
"Evernight: Romance in a World of Darkness - Vol. 1"
"Evernight: Romance in a World of Darkness - Vol. 2"
"The Witch's Familiar"
"Kissing Is Easy..."
"Chief of Thrones"
"Seasons of Change" ~ Part of Silver Publishing's "Summer Heat" series
"Sin and Seduction" ~ Book One
"Lies & Seduction" ~ Book Two
"Patient Privilege" ~ Book One
"Aphrodite's Gift" ~ League of Slayers Book One


21 comments:

Pelaam said...

Loved it

pat nelson said...

Such a beautiful story! It's memories like this that help with handling the pain.

pat nelson said...

Oops! I'd like Seasons of Change. My email address
npat78@yahoo.com.

Loveless3173 said...

Thank you for sharing. I hope, though it'll be hard, I hope you and your family have a Happy Christmas. ~hug~


:) I'd love Lies & Seduction. Heh.. Thanks again.

Judi
arella3173_loveless@yahoo(dot)com

laurie said...

Such a beautiful story! It's memories like this that help with handling the pain.

parisfan_ca@yahoo.com

Yvette said...

I would love Lies & Seduction. Happy Holidays.
Yvette
yratpatrol@aol.com

Rissa said...

Thanks for sharing your story, so glad you have wonderful memories to help you thru.

raynman1979 at yahoo dot com

Urb said...

It wasn't sad, but I cried anyway. Thanks for sharing that story with us.

brendurbanist at gmail dot com

Urb said...

Seasons of change is the book I would pick, sorry.

brendurbanist at gmail dot com

scottsgal said...

Kissing is easy
msboatgal at aol.com

Lisa said...

Thanks for sharing your special Christmas memories with us. Very touching. Hugs to you and your family.

I would really like to read Patient Privilege. Thanks! (I am reading Lies and Seduction right now) :)

lkbherring64(at)gmail(dot)com

Kathryn Merkel said...

So glad you have that memory Allison. I've not lost a sibling yet, but I have lost a couple of cousins that left a huge hole in my heart. ((Hugs))

My pick from your list is: Evernight: Romance in a World of Darkness - Vol. 1, I always go for the bad guys.

drainbamaged.gyzmo at gmail.com

Penumbra said...

I'd like Kissing is Easy :)

penumbrareads(at)gmail(dot)com

Tracey Steinbach said...

My eyes got all teary. Great story, Alli!

Michelle Maldonado said...

I know how you feel, my sister left us in August in 2001 that first year was so hard emotionally for all my family. The only thing that helped us through it was knowing how much she would have hated to see us sad or even crying for her. We knew she would be very upset with us, even angry with us, we did our best to include her in everything, even if she physically wasn't, but she was in our hearts.
Thank you for sharing your memories with us. Hope you and you family find the peace and love your brother would have brought with him to these holidays.

MICHEEMAL1986@YAHOO.COM
Evernight: Romance in a World of Darkness

nancy said...

The holiday season always bring forth so many memories both sad and sweet. I would like Sin & Seduction.

Rush said...

What can I say Allyson... I know how it feels like to spend Christmas without that special person in your life. I lost my sister as well. But the happy memories compensate for the pain.

Happy Holidays to you and your family!

~Rush~
taina1959@yahoo.com

Rush said...

Forgot to add the Book I'd choose... Lies & Seduction. Thank You!

Juliana said...

Lies and Seduction looks wonderful! And that was the cutest picture, all my Santa pics have me screaming my head off! Thanks for participating in the hop!
OceanAkers @ aol.com

bn100 said...

Sins of the heart


Thanks for the giveaway.

bn100candg(at)hotmail(dot)com

Allison Cassatta said...

The winners have been emailed and the blog hop is now closed

READ THE CHRONICLES OF THREE FOR FREE!

READ THE CHRONICLES OF THREE FOR FREE!
"The Chronicles of Three" follows three men living in one city where their lives, their romances, and their bedroom affairs have a tendency to intertwine.